Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Some one came Knocking

From the quote last week, someone yelled and I went running.
Sorry I was gone, but now I am here.

Some one came knocking
At my wee, small door;
Some one came knocking,
I'm sure - sure - sure;
I listened, I opened,
I looked to left and right,
But nought there was a -stirring
In the still dark night;
Only the busy beetle
Tap-tapping in the wall,
Only from the forest
The screech-owl's call,
Only the cricket whistling
While the dewdrops fall,
So I know not who came knocking,
At all, at all, at all.
~Walter de la Mare
From Silver Pennies by Blanche Jennings Thompson (1940)

4 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

What a lovely poem! It reminds me of one my mother used to recite to me. I wonder if it the same one. She loved poetry.

Beautiful photo too!

Kamana said...

what a cheerful photo - all the bright blooms.

Sylvia said...

Love the poem.

Jeanie said...

Beautiful combo of words and image. I always liked Walter de la Mere.