Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sticks and Stones


"Our negative thoughts (worry, fear, etc) are like sticks....and we are the dog. We have a choice. We can chase the stick, obsess over it, gnaw on it for hours and days (even years)...OR... we can just let the stick fall and leave it alone." Let it go, stop chasing the obsession and worry.

from Whimsical Whispers, Constantly Evolving

Stones of Anger:

Some years back I was going through a difficult personal time and started reading self help books, journaling, and in general doing some self examination. You know how that can really get you down during a time like this. I came across a concept so simple, but so healing. Beside letting go of the stick, you can throw stones. Take a marker and write the issue on the stone. Find one special stone for each issue. Now when you are ready to let it go, take the stones somewhere safe to throw it away such as a river, beach, or country field. Read what is on the stone and let it go. Throw it as hard as you can and say "I release you". No longer will you burden me. My spirit was lifted up and I could laugh as my anger, hurts, and issues were tossed away. Come on, let's do it together. I found the right stone for my anger and tomorrow I will take it to the beach and throw it away.


7 comments:

Gwen said...

You are one smart woman!! Thanks for all your wisdom.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting information here. I wish I had found this first before I signed up for the other one. This is much better!

Angela McRae said...

I guess it would be a violation of the rules if I threw my stone at the person making me angry? (JOKING!) But seriously, I admire your diligence in shedding unnecessary burdens, Marilyn!

parTea lady said...

What a great way to get rid of a burden. I've done something similar where you write down what needs to be released and then all the papers are burned.

Jeanne said...

Anger is one letter short of danger........

Love you
Jeanne

Jeanne said...

I love that concept of throwing it away and a bright beautiful beginning............
Love Jeanne♥

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I like this! I made a copy to share with my prayer group! Thanks!

Katherine